What are the different types of salt and what are they used for?05/01/2017
Salt is one of the world’s most abundant natural resources. Not only can it be found naturally in the sea, but it can also be mined from land salt mines. There are variety of salts sold at your local grocery store, so what’s the difference?
Here, you find 5 kind of salts
- Table salt is the most common kind of salt. Many manufacturers fortify salt with iodine, which is an element that helps to fight some iodine-related diseases, such as hypothyroidism.
- Sea salt has coarse crystals and is made by evaporating seawater. It is harvested in several places around the world. One type of sea salt is fleur de sel, which is harvested by hand in France. Fleur de sel is one of the most expensive sea salts available.
- Pickling salt doesn’t contain additives and is generally used in brines to pickle foods.
- Himalaya pink salt: it is harvested in the hills of the Himalayan mountain range and is in short, fossilized sea salt. It’s pink because of the abundance of minerals that it contains, especially iron. It’s usually more expensive than regular salt, but it’s considered healthier and purer, which for most people makes up for the price difference.
- Black salt is mined in India and has a strong Sulphur smell. It’s used to spice food in Southeast Asia and has recently become popular in the U.S. because it is often used as an ingredient in vegan recipes because of its “egg” flavor.
Hopefully, we’ve made it easier for you to understand what kind of salt you prefer for your kitchen based on taste, texture, color and convenience.